Preventive dentistry focuses on procedures and life practices that help to prevent the beginning or progression of oral diseases. This program is a collaborative effort that includes at-home dental care performed by patients, as well as dental care and education by professional dental staff and your dentist.
Teeth Cleaning Cincinnati
Prevention starts with maintaining good oral hygiene at home and maintaining a balanced diet. The process is continued by dental staff to help you keep your teeth and gums healthy through regularly scheduled appointments to promote, restore and maintain good oral health.
Preventative programs include regular dental exams, cleaning and x-rays. Other precautionary treatments may involve increased protection by the use of sealants or fluoride treatments.
Regular preventive care, early diagnosis, and treatment can help you avoid more costly dental problems that may develop or be worsened. It is the key to maintaining a healthy, confident, and beautiful smile.
Dr Yash will perform a comprehensive dental exam at your first visit. At your regular check-up appointments, Dr Yash or your hygienist will:
- Examine your teeth for decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked with special dental instruments.
- Examine existing restorations: All current crowns, fillings, etc. will be checked.
- Review x-rays: X-rays help to detect decay, bone loss, cysts, and tumors. They also help to determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: The face, lips, tongue, throat, gums, and neck are checked for any signs of oral cancer.
- Check for gum disease: We check the gums and bone around the teeth for signs of periodontal disease.
Dental cleanings (prophylaxis) are generally performed by a registered dental hygienist. A cleaning appointment includes a dental exam plus the following:
Removal of tartar (calculus): Tartar is hardened plaque that is firmly attached to the tooth. It forms above and below the gum line and can be removed only with special dental instruments.
Removal of plaque: Plaque is an almost invisible, sticky film that forms on the teeth due to food debris, saliva, and bacteria. This bacteria produces toxins that inflame the gums, leading to periodontal disease.
Teeth polishing: We remove stain and plaque that cannot be removed by tooth brushing.
If you have any questions or concerns about dental exams and cleanings, please call or contact our office.